Hi, my name is David Joseph Chiappetta and I was born on July 27, 2007. I was born with something called holoprosencephaly and it means that my brain was not divided and I don't really have much of a brain. I do have a brain stem which controls my heart and lungs so that's good. My hypothalamus doesn't work either though so I can get either really hot or really cold very easily and quickly. Mom and Dad have to be my thermometer for me though which keeps them pretty busy at times. I also have a feeding tube in my stomach so I can eat since I can't swallow and I have a trache so I can breathe since I only have one nostril and it's blocked. Mom and dad have to suction me out too since I get mucuous buildup and have acid reflux. Sometimes I can keep them busy with that too. I also have Diabetes Insipidus which is a water issue and so I have to be given a certain amount of water with my medicines. If my sodium level is too high then that will cause me to have more seizures as well as if my temperature gets too high. I already have a seizure condition because of my lack of brain so some things can make it more complicated like high temperature and high sodium. See, my normal temperature range is 94 degrees to 97 degrees. Anything above that can cause me to have more seizures. See, I told you I keep my parents busy. :-) The doctors said though that I may not make it to birth and if I did I would only live a month or so. They also said that I will not be able to talk or walk or crawl or any of those normal baby things. Well, I'm here to tell you that I am4 years old now and I am learning to pick my head up when on my tummy! I'm also learning to put some weight on my legs and I laugh and smile. Cool huh? I just wanted to add that although you see mom and dad in the description above...it has just been mommy and me for a while now since daddy passed away in January of 2010.

Monday, March 31, 2008

March 31,2008

What's up everyone? Sunday was a pretty good day for me except for getting a little hot in church and so that led me to getting fussy and daddy had to sit out in the foyer with me. But the rest of the day was really good. Today, I have slept off and on and later this afternoon boy did I get hot. I went from like 94 to 99 degrees in a matter of minutes. So, I got another bath so mommy could try and cool me off and gave me some Tylenol and I am now on my play mat still trying to cool off and hoping to get some sleep tonight. I didn't let momma rest too much today. I kept her pretty busy. She certainly had her hands full today not only with me but daddy had to stay home today too because his muscles hurt and he could harldy move and mommy had to help him get back into bed and put his shirt on and finally she had him crawl down the hallway so he could be on the couch where mommy could tend to him and me. He is feeling a bit better this evening though so I hope that he continues to feel better and gets some rest tonight and wake up good to go in the morning. Talk to everyone later. Night Night.

Posted by Picasa


Anonymous said...

So what's up for David on April Fool's Day???????

Heather Zielke said...

Hi Debbie!
I've enjoyed seeing the cute pictures of David,...thank you so much for sharing your blogspot with me. Also, what a touching tribute to your husband Mark. What a glorious reunion you will all have in eternity! Thanks so much for sharing your life with me and your son David. What a blessing you have been to me! See you Sunday!

Blessings, Heather Zielke (from FBC)